Attachments to Street Lights
If you wish to make any attachment to a street light in Hampshire you will need to obtain permission from SSE after you have your Hampshire Highways consent. When we receive your application we will check that your proposed attachment conforms to all relevant legislation and poses no risk or harm to the public. If your application is successful we will send you a formal approval. We always process applications as swiftly as possible, however, due to the volume of requests we receive it may take up to 4 weeks. Please carefully read all of the information below before you begin your application.
- Hampshire County Council does not permit advertising on street lights. Any application deemed to be advertising will be declined. If you are not sure if your attachments will be considered advertising please contact the Hampshire Highways team here before you begin your application.
- Please supply all of the information requested with your application, we will not begin processing applications until they are submitted in full.
- Please allow 4 weeks for applications to be processed. We will always process applications as swiftly as possible but cannot guarantee a response in less than 4 weeks.
- We do not permit any third party attachments on cast iron columns.
- Depending on the size and weight of your proposed attachment we may ask you to arrange for the street light to be structurally tested. This will confirm the street light can safely accommodate the additional load. A member of the team will advise you if this is necessary when you submit your application.
- We do not permit any attachments that tether a column. For example, we do not permit bunting on street lights because it tethers the columns to each other or to a building.
- If your proposed attachment also requires energy from the street light you will need to submit a separate application for the new power socket. If there is an existing power socket on the column please ensure that this is noted in your application.